With the Wimbledon finals taking place this weekend, it seems very appropriate to bring out this classic Victoria Sponge filled with strawberries & cream. A pairing that has stood the test of time, you can't really go wrong with strawberries and cream, especially when the cream is laced with fragrant vanilla seeds. This would be an ideal centrepiece for any summer gathering, a welcome addition to an afternoon tea or a decadent way to round off a barbecue. It is also a good excuse to show off the latest addition to my kitchen - this beautiful vintage glass cake stand from RE in Corbridge, Northumberland. This hidden gem of a shop is well worth a visit if you like rooting through unusual and interesting bits and bobs, with their stock ranging from kitchenware to french soaps and gardening equipment. Here is the link to their website if you want to have a look: http://www.re-foundobjects.com
You Will Need…
175g caster sugar
175g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
And for the filling…
200ml double cream
1 generous tsp vanilla bean paste or the scraped seeds from one vanilla pod
Half a punnet of strawberries
Icing sugar for for dusting
You Will Need To…
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla essence, and then fold in the sieved flour and baking powder.
- Pour into two round, greased and lined cake tins and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool your sponges on a wire rack whilst you prepare the filling…
- Chop your strawberries into quarters, reserving a few for decoration if you like.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks, then fold in your vanilla paste.
- Spread your berries onto one of the sponges, top with the cream and then place the second sponge on top.
- Serve on your prettiest plate and dust with icing sugar.
Enjoy! C x